Wednesday, June 01, 2011

School's Out!

    For most of the years that my kids were young, I would leave school on the last day with an entire two and a half months of freedom before me. Summer vacation is now more like two months long, and for the last four or five years, I've somehow found myself teaching summer school, which usually puts a bit of a damper on my celebratory attitude. If I'd be more fiscally responsible during the school year, I wouldn't be complaining about this fact. Although I'm not complaining much this summer since I will still have a lot of free time. I'm subbing eight days of summer school for a friend in July; plus, I'm splitting a contract to teach a night class at the college, which means two nights a week for four weeks. That's certainly not "nothing," but it's much less than I'm used to, so I'm excited. It will be nice not to be rushed about pretty much anything, including knitting projects. I felt a little rushed with finishing my little project for my friend this week. I didn't get the Mary Janes finished for my friend's grandbaby, but I did knit her a cute little hat from Susan B Anderson's "rosebud hat" pattern in Itty Bitty Hats. I'll just have to knit the Mary Janes later.
I didn't really have enough time to knit the rosebuds, so I knit a little flower from 100 Flowers to Knit and Crochet,  I don't know how to crochet much, but this book makes me want to learn. It has some really fun patterns. I was inspired to buyit from Knot Garden, who creates gorgeous flowers creations. I'm sad that she hasn't posted since December because her stuff is wonderful.

One of my summer goals is to be more faithful about my food posts on Fridays, but since I've been so infrequent with the food posts lately, I thought I'd post a recent success while it's fresh on my mind. We had some friends over on Sunday night and had an indoor picnic since it was too cold and windy outside. (Yes, cold and windy in Central California...in late May!)  We had pulled pork sandwiches, thanks to Trader Joe's, but I'm proud to say the potato salad was homemade. I'm still on the "Southwest" kick and found a great new recipe on a blog that I unfortunately forgot to bookmark!



Southwestern Potato Salad
  • 4 lbs heirloom, thin skinned potatoes, cut and boiled until tender but not mushy
  • 2 red onions, chopped
  • 3 cloves of garlic, roasted until soft
  • 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
  • 1 Poblano pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 2-3 canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, chopped
  • 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
  • 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
  • 2 cupe  mayo
  • 2 tbs Grey Poupon mustard
  • Juice of 2 limes
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp cumin 
Mix the mayo, mustard, agave, cumin, and lime juice. Squeeze in the soft insides of the roasted garlic and mix well. Set aside. In a large bowl, toss the potatoes, peppers, onions, cilantro, and chopped garlic until well mixed. Pour the mayo mixture over all and blend gently. Add salt and pepper to taste.

I had good reviews on this recipe although it was really on the spicy side. 

9 comments:

TheBlackSheep said...

Wow, 2.5 months (mostly) off. I might just be a liiiiitle envious. Enjoy it some for me to, eh? :0)

Anonymous said...

That sounds like my kind of potato salad - I love spicy food!!

Caffeine Girl said...

From a financial viewpoint, I really should teach summer school. But in my district, the pay is $10 -- yep, even for licensed, veteran teachers! Besides, there is no A/C, and summer in Wisconsin is usually hot and humid.

Enjoy your summer. We deserve it -- especially in these days of teacher-bashing!

Rani said...

Yum! Yum to all - the knits and the potato salad. I love the flower on the hat. It's darling. And that sweater (older post) - it is such a pretty design.

Tracy said...

So glad you'll be having some extra pockets of time this summer! Are you planning some summer knitting? ;o) LOVE this little hat--it's adorable! And you know I love the pink... LOL! I really like your flower substitution. And that's a potato salad up my street--love the addition of chilies--YUM! The spicier the better, I say. Lovely to be back and catching up with you here after our travels. I think we'll need the weekend to get over the jet lag and get back on track. :o) Happy Summer Days ((HUGS))

Prairie Rose said...

I love the pink hat, so cute!
And we will be most certainly trying this potato salad very soon, we love potato salad in this house and I love stuff with a spicy kick!

Torhild said...

You created alot since I stopped by here( sorry- I´m packing to move back to Norway)
Nemesis was fun to knit, right? the baby stuff is cute too.
Hmm will try that potatoe salad. Looks good. Have a great summer. Mine starts 24 of june with the move back to the home country.

Joansie said...

Hat is adorable.

I know how you feel about the end of the school year and teaching again. Between my knitting classes unusually like to have a 2-week break.

Potato salad looks real yummy.

Z said...

I like the hat and the flower.

I haven't seen a knitted flower like that before, very nice.

And yeah, cold in central california. And rain out here in Alameda County. It's all good, I like the rain, but I wonder if the summer is going to be like it was last year....there wasn't much sun and my tomatoes never really did turn red.