Monday, January 31, 2011

Beret Blues

One of my good knitting buddies had a sad experience a couple of months ago, knitting a beret for her daughter. The beret ended up being too big for her rather petite daughter. She tried shrinking it, and, as she says, it ended up looking kind of like a felted bowl.  Sympathetic friend that I am, I had the audacity to make fun of her. I laughingly referred to the "lovely bowl"-- that she had knit for her daughter. When my daughter asked for a beret several weeks ago, I poured over Ravelry until I found the perfect beret, the Grace Lace Beret  from Loop Knits. I confidently mentioned to my friend my progress throughout this week; however last night, as I neared the end of the pattern, I began to feel a little apprehensive, noticing that the circumference of the beret was far wider than my daughter's head. I blocked it last night, and when I came home from work today, my daughter had it on the table beside her. She put it on, and it covered her entire head and drooped down the sides, and so I.....dampened it under the sink and threw it in the dryer. I too am now the proud owner of a....felted bowl. Actually, it might be wearable, but it wasn't what I had envisioned. Oh, and I saw my friend at work, and I've already admitted to her that I too am singing the "beret blues." On the positive side, Kitty thinks it makes a wonderful bed.

8 comments:

Tracy Batchelder said...

I bet you and your friend had a good laugh.

Thimbleanna said...

Well, I'm sorry to laugh, but that is pretty funny! Isn't that always the way it is -- those things come back to haunt us. Lucky for the kitty though!

Tracy said...

Oh, that is sooo funny... And just LOVE this photo too! Cats and knitwear just go together, don't they?! ;o) The beret looks good...Happy Days ((HUGS))

Anonymous said...

Ah well - what goes round comes round!!

Kitty said...

Oh, no! It happens to the best of us. Somethings things just don't turn out....

Caffeine Girl said...

I love this pattern, but it does knit up large! I went down a needle size, and came up with a loose but wearable beret for an adult.

I suspect it might be better in a yarn that has no silk content.

By the way, did you know that this picture shows up in the movie, My Sister's Keeper?

marit said...

LOL!

Z said...

Sorry to hear about you and your friends beret problems.

I also, am having a "beret blues" issue.

Can't decide whether to start a whole new one or try and work with what I have.

As far as the cat goes, you know what they always say, "One man's trash is another man's treasure".

:D