Thursday, February 03, 2011

Comfort Bunny





Anyone who has read my blog for any amount of time knows that I LOVE Julie's bunnies at Little Cotton Rabbits, but I've long ago given up ever buying one from her. I seem to remember her having something like 300 hits the last time she announced that she was selling one. I also am not as obsessed with knitting bunnies that look exactly like hers. On the other hand, she's still my inspiration, and I enjoy knitting bunnies more than anything else.
I knit a bunny today because I was home from work. A doctor may not have diagnosed me as ill, but  I just couldn't imagine making it through the day when the alarm went off, so I stayed home, that is, after getting up at 6:30 and driving (Ok, it's only five minutes away) down to work to leave lesson plans. A friend calls a day like that a "mini-nervous break-down." I brag that I don't have a Puritanical work ethic, but actually I think I kind of do and struggle against it, so I think it's good for me to just spend a day on the couch every once in a while.

I  spend a couple of hours catching up on sleep, and then I had enough energy to knit a bunny with the help of my constant couch companion, Kitty. She's a fairly expensive bunny. I can't remember how much money I spent on the skein of alpaca that I used, which I bought several years ago at  Silver Sun's Alpacas, but I know it wasn't cheap. I'm happier and happier with my "bunny skills," face and body wise, but I'm not completely happy with her little dress. The skirt is 38 stitches around, and I think that 42 would have been perfect. I'd also like to start giving my bunnies shoes, but I'll have to find a pattern since I just can't visualize how to do them.

12 comments:

Willow said...

Lovely little bunny! You know how I love Julie's bunnies too and enjoy making my own. Did you make up the dress pattern? How do you attach/work the shoulder seams?

Tracy Batchelder said...

She's cute! Feel better soon.

Anonymous said...

A lovely bunny! I don't read Julie's blog as often as I used to, but I did read it the other day, and was upset to read how bad things have got with her son.
Hope you're feeling better.

Thimbleanna said...

Your little bunny is adorable! And that mini-nervous breakdown is hysterical -- I LOVE that. I need to use it once in awhile LOL!

Torhild Reidardatter said...

Bunny is cute- as always. Good for you , you took that day off!

Kitty said...

The bunny is so amazing! I really really love it! I don't know about shoes for the little thing- that might make it too cute to handle!

Rani said...

Very cute! I love it. I have a bunny somewhere that I've been working on FOR EVER! Must get that out again.

Willow said...

APU: yes, it's a great univ. As a mom who sent three kids to Biola University, I still think APU is great :)

Thoreau's Walden---yeah, I agree with your assessment. Thoughtful writing but his life didn't always match up in practice. He also walked to his mom's house every week with his laundry and SHE washed his clothes.

Willow said...

Oh, after seeing your bunny, I pulled out my pattern and started another one this morning!

Ally Jay said...

We call those kind of days mental health days. every one needs one now and then. The bunny looks fab.

periwinkle said...

very cute, I have a thing for bunnies too ... oh I just popped over from Annas x

Tracy said...

Isn't she a SWEETIE-PIE! Too, too cute she is...I love her little dress! Hope you are feeling better soon :o) ((HUGS))