Thursday, August 16, 2007

Too Much Yarn?




I had a little yarn binge this week. My excuse is that school meetings started on Monday. It hasn't been too bad. We have a new principal who actually behaves like a half-way decent human being, which has been nice. In the past our insecure, unpleasant principal kept us running through so many meetings that we couldn't do any real preparation. This year I might actually go home on Friday afternoon, and not worry about school again until Monday morning. I've also agree to teach a college class again this semester. It's only one night a week, and is a transfer level class as well, which should be more interesting than the low level ones I've taught in the past. Yay! I'm in the big leagues!

But...I digress. I guess I was worried that I somehow wouldnt have time to browse for yarn after the whirlwind of school began, so I went to the Loopy Ewe and ordered myself some Mocha Peppermint yarn from Claudia Handpainted yarns.Janice knit some socks with it a while back, and I've been thinking I needed to copy her they're so pretty. Unfortunately, I just noticed that they're out of it again. Janice must have inspired more people than just me.

I've been planning to knit the pirate hat from Moth Heaven for quite a while too. My nephew is four years old, and I thought a pirate hat would be a perfect Christmas present for a little boy, so I ordered the yarn for that from Jimmy Bean Wool You would think that I would be satisfied with these additions to my stash, but I thought I'd just order myself a little more sock yarn. People rave about Lorna's Laces, so I ordered two different skeins of that, neglecting to notice that you need two skeins to knit a pair of socks, not one. I'm pitiful. I'm such a consumer for someome who is so critical of "consumerism.". I just love the idea of "yarn." I have no idea when I will ever knit all of this yarn into anything. You want to know something even worse? I don't even feel guilty! Maybe a little embarrassed to have my son tell me, "Mom, you need to get a handle on your yarn compulsion" but definitely not guilty. Besides, I'm not wasting money on yarn; I'm providing kitty with a comfortable place to rest.

4 comments:

Tracy Batchelder said...

The two skeins of Lorna's Laces look like they go well together. Maybe you can combine them somehow for a pair of socks.

Janice said...

We are on the same wavelength!! You know they say great minds think alike!! (of course, they also say 'And fools seldom differ') but we'll go with the great minds one, right??
I also never feel guilty. I know I should. But it's cheap therapy, I figure!! Well, now off to cast on my chevron scarf. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

No such thing as too much yarn! ;o) Nice little stash you've bought there--have fun! Looks like lil' kitty is too--hehehe! Glad you feel good about the coming school year. Happy weekend to you all! ((HUGS))

Robin said...

You might be able to get a pair of anklets out of one skein too.