Sunday, December 09, 2007

Wonderful Winter Books

A couple of entries ago, I wrote about how I love old books so much, but I probably love children's book most of all. I used to read to my children every night long after they were reading other books on their own. When we started reading actual novels, when they were around five, I even kept a journal with both of them in which they would dictate to me what to write about their feelings about each book as we finished it. I usually would ask them what they had learned from the book. I remember that after we had finished reading Laura Ingalls Wilder's These Happy Golden Years, Paige said that she had learned that if a boy starts coming over to your house, it means he wants to marry you.

Each Christmas I would buy each of my children a "Christmas" book for St. Nicholas Day, December 6. As a result of that practice, I think I own every book that Jan Brett published up until a few years ago when I decided that teenager don't appreciate picture books so much (LOL) Of course, as most knitters know, Jan Brett used knitting motifs throughout her books. Two of my favorites are The Hat and The Mitten although I'm in love with all of them.



Yesterday, I was looking for an idea to give to a co-worker who is expecting in a couple of months. I was looking through some of my kids' old picture books, and I decided to buy my friend a Kim Lewis book. She is one of my very favorite author and illustrators. We have three of her books, but I found a different one to buy for my friend. It's called A Quilt for Baby. We have Emma's Lamb, Shepherd Boy, and First Snow. These books don't have any overt knitting in them, but they have sheep, snow, and cozy farmhouse scenes, which makes me just as happy.



3 comments:

Tracy said...

I have to say I cried a little over this post. "The Mitten" was a favorite book when I was a child. I've always loved book, and had many. Books at Christmas were among the best gifts. Unfortunately, I don't have any of my childhood book. They were stored in the attic of the house I grew up in and later it got terribly damp up there, and eventually my parents had to dispose of almost everything stored in the attic--including mine and my sister's childhood books, toys and other keepsakes. "The Mitten", that was such a sweet book...The other books you show are wonderful too. I've been enjoping very much your book/reading posts! Happy week to all of you ((HUGS))

Tracy Batchelder said...

I never thought to ask my kids what they learned from reading a book. I can see I missed hearing some good answers!

Mari said...

I was just doing my planning for the week after Christmas break and it includes The Mitten and The Hat and lots of activities for 4 year old fun! Great books!

Another great question for kids while reading books..."What's happening on this page?" Get's those little brains working and you can get some interesting answers. :)