Friday, April 04, 2008

Hearst Castle

I finished my citrine socklets last Friday. I had several hours of uninterupted knitting...it was on a school bus, but it still wasn't the same as regular work. I also knit for a little while while looking out at the ocean since I just happened to have my socklets in my coat pocket.

Every year, one of my fellow teachers and I take our shared honors students on a trip to Heart Castle. It takes about two hours to get there We let the student walk around the town of Cambria for a while before we go up to the castle to see the IMAX movie about how great William Randoph Hearst...I'm not convinced, but I get that he wasn't totally evil either. We take the evening tour of the castle, which highlights the best features of the four daytime tours. It really is incredible. I've probably been to the castle twenty times or more, and it still is awesome to me.


10 comments:

monica said...

Sounds like an interesting trip. IO bet my eldest would love it. Your sock looks very pretty.

Cloudberry said...

What a beautiful place!

Have a great weekend!

Tracy Batchelder said...

I'm not sure I could imagine living in a place like that. So lavish!

Congratulations on finishing your sock!

Willow said...

Hearst Castle is an amazing place. You're correct that Hearst wasn't all evil, but he certainly was self indulgent.

I love the idea of having your socks to knit in your pocket wherever you go, even the school bus.

Julie said...

Wow - what a beautiful place. Can you imagine living there? Love that you brought your socks - that's how to travel.

Mari said...

I love visiting Hearst Castle. It has been a couple years, thoguh.

TheBlackSheep said...

Do you know I've never been to Hearst Castle? I'm going to have to go one of these days.

Nice sock and what a good way to spend the bus ride!

Tracy said...

Now that is home sweet home--LOL! Gorgeous place...and so is your knitting! Happy Day ((HUGS))

Knittings Nice! said...

Great place...good piccys.

JayJay said...

I've never been there, but I definitely will put it on my list of places to visit!