Saturday, September 02, 2006

Between Projects


I don't like being between projects. I should always start planning what I'm going to work on next before I finish with my current project. It's funny, I just realized that I no longer have two or three projects going at once as I used to when I was younger. I think that it may be an inadvertent part of my "procrastinating recovery program." I've gotten to be so good about paying bills BEFORE the due date, grading and returning papers BEFORE the kids forget that they ever did the assignment in the first place, and cleaning the kitchen and bathrooms BEFORE the health department should be notified that my knitting behavior has been altered as well. I think I've been more successful with actually finishing things now. BUT, back to my original premise. Now when I finish a project I am sometimes stuck in the knitting doldrums. I knew that I wanted to knit some socks, but I couldn't decide on a pattern. I made my usual mess in the living room, browsing my mags. (No, my magazines were not so neatly displayed most of the week!) You would think that someone who has every Knitters and Knits back to the 1980s would have no trouble finding the right pattern to use. Part of my problem was that I wanted to use Cascade Fixation yarn. It's thicker than a lot of sock yarn, I think, so the patterns that had me casting on 60 or 70 stitches just weren't going to cut it. I finally found a nice, simple pattern at Socks 101. So, I spend the week looking at beautiful sock patterns, which I do have the skills to complete, and I choose a pattern that is "a good beginning project." It figures!

No comments: